Use FoodChecker to plan healthy canteen menus that meet the Victorian Government’s School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy, or the or nutrition-related standard of the Right Bite Food and Drinks Standards for South Australian schools.
When you review your school menu in FoodChecker, you will get a summary of your results on screen, plus a detailed PDF report that you can download and save. Your report will contain feedback on where your menu is doing well, and it includes recommendations for healthier changes.
We recommend that you learn more about these guidelines before using FoodChecker.
School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy
The Victorian Department's of Education and Training's School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy classifies foods and drinks based on their nutritional content:
- Everyday (Green) foods and drinks are the healthiest options, and they should make up at least 50% of the menu.
- Select carefully (Amber) foods and drinks provide some nutritional value, but they can also be higher in energy, and contain added fat, sugar and/or salt. They should make up less than 50% of the menu, and they should be provided in smaller serving sizes.
- Occasionally (Red) foods and drinks are the least healthy, and they should not be on the regular canteen menu. Occasionally items should be limited to being available in the school no more than twice per term.
- Confectionery and high sugar content soft drinks should not be provided in schools at any time.
You can learn more about the School Canteens and Other School Food Services Policy here.
The Right Bite Food and Drinks Standards
The Right Bite Food and Drinks Standards provide information and advice about increasing the availability and promotion of healthier food and drinks in Department for Education settings such as canteens, breakfast programs, food and drinks provided by an offsite provider, excursions and camps, and classroom based activities.
To create a positive food environment and culture for all students, the nutrition-related standard of the Right Bite Food and Drinks Standards recommend:
- At least 60% of food and drinks you offer and promote should be from the GREEN category.
- No more than 40% of food and drinks you offer should be from the AMBER category.
- RED 1 food and drinks should not be provided on the general menu and can only be sold/provided as part of whole of school events up to twice per term.
- RED 2 food and drinks should never be supplied, provided, sold, promoted or displayed.
For more information visit www.education.sa.gov.au/rightbite.
Before you begin an assessment, we suggest you have the following:
- All recipes written down with the ingredient names, types and quantities.
- The names and nutrition information for any packaged products that you use or offer for sale.
Start new assessment
- Sign in
- Click START NEW ASSESSMENT.
- Select the organisation type you want to assess.
- Select “Assess full menu”.
- Select your organisation to assess and confirm the details.
- Enter a name for the menu, then click SUBMIT.
To enter recipes and individual items
- Click ADD A RECIPE
- Select the assessment section.
- Enter the recipe or item name such as “Chicken stir fry” or “Apples”.
- Enter the number of serves, and answer any questions on screen.
- Start typing the first ingredient. A list of matching options will appear. Click on the option that best matches your ingredient. You can type a little or lot of the name. For example, “chick”, “chicken”, “thigh” or “chicken thigh”.
- Enter the amount and unit of measurement.
For example, for 500g type “500”, then select “Grams” from the list. For a 6 apples type “6”, then select “Whole” from the list.
- To add another ingredient, click ADD MORE INGREDIENTS and repeat the steps above.
NOTE: Include all condiments, seasoning or finishes used in the recipe, including salt, sugar and oils/butter.
TIP: Click SAVE TO RECIPE BANK to store this recipe/item.
- Once you have entered all the ingredients, click ADD TO ASSESSMENT.
To add a saved recipe or common recipes
- Click COMMON RECIPES or MY RECIPE BANK.
- Search the list for the recipe you want, then click ADD.
- A recipe will appear and you can edit the name, serves, ingredients or quantities.
- Click ADD TO ASSESSMENT when finished.
To add branded products
- Click ADD A PRODUCT
- Start typing the name of the item. You could enter the brand name, the product name, or the flavour.
For example, if the ingredient is ‘Sample Brand strawberry muesli bar’, you could type any combination of “Sample”, “Brand”, “muesli bar” or “strawberry”.
- A list of matching options will appear. Find your product in the list and click ADD.
If you can’t find your product, click ASSESS NEW PRODUCT.
a) Select the category.
b) Enter the product name.
c) Answer the questions on screen using the nutrition information and other information on the packaging. The questions will change depending on what category you have selected.
TIP: Click SAVE PRODUCT to use it in future assessments.
- When you have finished, click ADD TO ASSESSMENT.
Using a saved product
- Click ADD A PRODUCT, and select the menu section.
- Click the SAVED PRODUCTS tab, and find the item you want from the list, then click ADD.
To finish assessment
- When you have finished entering recipes and products to the menu, click NEXT or FINISH ASSESSMENT.
- (If relevant, answer any question on the next page, then click FINISH ASSESSMENT.)
- Your results summary will appear on screen.
- Click SAVE ASSESSMENT AS PDF to view the details results, and save a copy of this report.
- Select the organisation type you want to assess